Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mentor Text Number 2


For my mentor text this week I read Perfect Chemistry, recommended to me by a classmate. I honestly could not have found a better relating story to my story. I really enjoyed reading this book, it was just what I love to read, a sappy love story. However, while I reading Perfect Chemistry I was a little weirded out because my book was extremely similar in multiple ways. First off the main characters name in both my book and Perfect Chemistry is Brittney. Next they both had to do with a very pretty, rich, and popular girl and a boy that is not the most popular kid around. Both characters cross paths when they are forced to be chemistry partners in a chemistry lab, just like in my story. The biggest difference between my story and Perfect Chemistry is that my boy character, Brayden, is an outcast with no friends and the main boy character in my mentor readings main boy character, Alex, was in a Latin gang.
My mentor text greatly influenced my reading because both stories were too similar to my writings. Instead of creating a sappy romance where my two main characters fall in love, like Alex and Brittney in Perfect Chemistry, I am either going to have Brayden end up being some imaginary angel she sort of dreamed up that changed her life for the better because she is so arrogant; or I am going to make Brayden move away. As for my girl character I am going to change her name to Melissa, just so my story is not too similar to Perfect Chemistry.  This story has given me many other ideas such as having Melissa seem to have a perfect life to her classmates, but truly be dealing with problems at home that no one would ever expect. I am still brainstorming ideas; however I was thinking that she could really be poor because everyone thinks she is rich, but her grandmother left her parents the home when she died and Melissa can steal clothes to seem rich. My moral of the story has not changed but along with my idea of having the moral be about being nice to people because you never know what they are going through; I have added the idea that there is more than what meets the eye. I am looking forward to reading my next mentor text because I found this one to be extremely inspiring while writing my novel, Colliding Paths

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea of having him be an imaginary angle that she dreamed up instead of being a real boy that she falls in love with, and I am glad you liked Perfect Chemistry. If you would like to read the second book in the series, Rules of Attraction, I have it and you can borrow it if you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your story line a lot, especially the idea of the girl dreaming up the boy instead because it's so original. I think you could get a lot of ideas from one of the mentor texts Ms. Kennett suggested to me, the movie Brick. It's about a boy who's an outcast and his girlfriend left him but she ends up coming back to him for help. It's like your story because they collide and can't help it. He has to help her in a way and they become the focus point of each other's lives again. I liked it a lot too and it's a short movie you can get at the Plymouth Library.

    ReplyDelete